Tips for extending the shelf life of products.
Extending the shelf life of products saves costs and preserves the quality of food. This is a good way to minimize your loss. We give a number of ideas for pickling or confiting products.
Pickling is a process using 50% water and 50% vinegar. Do not change this ratio! You can add other spices for extra flavour, what would you do?
- Pickle roasted beets with extra sugar and peppers. Use this as an addition to a cheese sandwich, in a summer salad or in winter with red meat.
- Pickle freshly grated or whole carrots with sugar and salt. Great with a salad or as a side dish.
- Make al dente cauliflower sweet and sour with cumin and turmeric (and other herbs). Suitable on a snack board or with a sandwich.
With confiting, you cook products in fat or sugar at a low temperature. It has a shorter shelf life than products in acid, but you can give the following products a second chance!
- Serve candied apples, pears, peaches or apricots with dessert, with a goat cheese salad or sandwich.
- Cook tomatoes for 30 to 60 minutes in oil with some salt and fresh herbs. Use the tomato as a side dish or puree it for spreads or tapenade.
- Confit zucchini in oil with garlic, lemon and peppers. You can also use this with a cheese sandwich, but also for a pasta salad.
We like to learn from practice and are, therefore, curious about your story. Do you have more tips or would you like to comment on the content of this article? Share your experience with us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org